A two-year development programme enabling substantive police inspectors to advance to superintendent rank.
Our Fast Track inspector to superintendent (FTIS) programme is a two-year talent development programme for substantive inspectors. It identifies, develops and supports a pipeline of officers that have the potential to become chief officers – laying the foundation for further promotion.
We also offer a Fast Track programme for serving constables.
The application process involves:
- completing a national application form
- an in-force sift and select process
- attendance at a national assessment centre
Individual places on the programme will be confirmed by your force.
You need to apply for this programme within your force. Forces currently taking part in this programme are:
- Avon and Somerset Police
- Bedfordshire Police
- British Transport Police
- City of London Police
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Gloucestershire Constabulary
- Gwent Police
- Hertfordshire Constabulary
- Lincolnshire Police
- Merseyside Police
- Metropolitan Police Service
- Northumbria Police
- South Yorkshire Police
- Staffordshire Police
- Surrey Police
- Sussex Police
- Warwickshire Police
- West Yorkshire Police
Non-Home Office forces can still take part in this programme. This is subject to agreement with the College about the service to be provided, our capacity, and payment in line with arrangements determined under our charging policy. Enquiries should be sent to [email protected].
What the programme involves
People on the programme will:
- complete the senior leadership programme
- complete modules on personal, operational and organisational leadership at senior leadership levels
- have the opportunity to consolidate their learning through Hydra immersive learning exercises
- have access to an executive coach
- have access to pathways to specialist operational training
Successful candidates will graduate the programme as substantive superintendents.
This professional development programme aims to support candidates to reach executive leadership roles. It will help to:
- ensure an ongoing pipeline of future senior leaders in policing
- improve the number and diversity of those accessing the pipeline to chief officer ranks
- provide a flexible and accelerated journey through promotion processes at senior ranks, enabling training, growth and development that suits individual and force need
Key course dates
|Application window opens||October 2023|
|In-force application sift||November 2023 to January 2024|
|National assessment centre||March 2024|
|Confirmation of successful candidates||April 2024|
|Programme starts||May 2024|
About the Fast Track programme
The Fast Track programme supports the national policing vision in helping the successful implementation of force talent management strategies by:
- attracting, identifying and developing the most talented officers from within the police service who wish to make a difference and have the potential to reach senior levels of police leadership
- offering a development programme and promotion mechanism to advance participants to the rank of superintendent within two years
- providing officers with the skills, experience and capacity to reach the senior ranks of the service to have a positive impact and influence on the management and culture of policing
Our privacy notice for the Fast Track programme provides details of how the College of Policing collects and processes personal data.