Our non-commercial licence.
The College of Policing is the professional body for the police in England and Wales. It works to raise the professional status of police officers and police staff and plays a vital role in the training and development of police officers and staff, ensuring that they continue to retain the skills and knowledge they need in order to prevent crime, protect the public and secure public trust.
As such, much of the Information created by the College is intended to be used in policing and be publicly accessible. The following public copyright licence applies to certain College Information and means that you can re-use the Information (excluding logos) for non-commercial purposes under the terms of this licence.
If you wish to use College Information which is not available under this licence or use it for purposes not permitted under this licence then, unless expressly permitted by law, you must first obtain permission (a licence) from the College of Policing by contacting: email@example.com
Such permission will not be unreasonably withheld from organisations wishing to use College Information to support policing.
Using information under this licence
This licence enables the College of Policing Limited ('The College') to license the use of its Information. You may use and re-use the Information that is available under the non-commercial College licence, freely and flexibly, within certain terms and conditions.
Use of the Information, expressly made available under this licence indicates your acceptance of the terms and conditions below. The Licensor grants you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use the Information for non-commercial purposes only subject to the conditions below.
This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.
You are free to
- copy, re-publish, distribute and transmit the Information (excluding logos) for non-commercial purposes
- combine the Information (excluding logos) with other information for non-commercial purposes
- translate the Information into Welsh
- embed or link to any Information for non-commercial purposes
You are not permitted to
- adapt, modify or translate (except into Welsh) the Information
You must, where you do any of the above
- acknowledge the source of the Information by including the following attribution statement: 'Contains information licensed under the non-commercial College licence' (unless an alternative attribution has been specifically provided) and where possible, provide a link to the source
- ensure that you do not summarise, adapt, alter, modify or amend the Information in any way that changes the original
- ensure that you use the most recent version of the Information and that you regularly check and update any use of the Information to the most up to date version available
- ensure that you do not sell the Information or use it in a commercial way by, for example, including it in your own product or application which is used in a commercial way, or by using it for the purposes of advertising or promoting commercial products
- ensure that any onward licensing of the Information, for example when combining with other information is for non-commercial purposes only
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests any official status
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that trivialises, sensationalises, de-contextualises or demeans the subject matter
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests that the College or any third-party rights' holder endorses you or your use of the Information
- ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Information or its source
- ensure that your use of the Information does not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
These are important conditions of this licence and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, or any similar licence granted by the Licensor, will end automatically.
This licence does not cover the use of:
- personal data in the Information
- Information that has neither been published nor disclosed under information access legislation (including the Freedom of Information Acts for the UK and Scotland) by or with the consent of the College
- College logos or trademarks except where they form an integral part of a document or dataset
- third-party rights which the College is not authorised to license
- Information subject to other intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, and design rights
- identity documents such as the British passport
The Information is licensed 'as is' and the College excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law.
The College is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use.
The College does not guarantee the continued supply of the Information.
This licence is governed by the laws of England and Wales and is subject to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh High Courts.
In this licence, the terms below have the following meanings:
- 'Commercial' means intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation
- 'Information' means information protected by copyright or by database right (for example, literary and artistic works such as text and images, sound recordings, broadcasts, typographic arrangements, films, musical works, dramatic works, content, data, databases and source code) offered for use under the terms of this licence
- 'College of Policing Ltd' ('The College') means the organisation providing the information under this licence.
- 'Licensor' means the College of Policing Limited (a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 08235199) of Leamington Road, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3EN
- 'Non-commercial' means not intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation
- 'Use' as a verb, means doing any act which is restricted by copyright or database right, whether in the original medium or in any other medium, and includes without limitation distributing or copying in accordance with the terms of this licence
- 'You' means the natural or legal person, or body of persons corporate or incorporate, acquiring rights under this licence
About this licence
This licence has been developed in accordance with the principles set out in the UK Government’s Licensing Framework (UKGLF).