This page is from APP, the official source of professional practice for policing.
Written by College of Policing
Missing persons quick reference guides
3 mins read
A supervisor should review the report to ensure that the risk assessment is appropriate and that relevant and proportionate action is being taken with robust direction and control. See A model of supervision.
The supervisor’s responsibilities are to:
- regularly review and confirm the risk assessment
- manage the investigation
- ensure appropriate tasks are set, completed and recorded
- ensure continuity of investigation and contact with person reporting the missing person through effective handover
- own the investigation plan
- ensure appropriate resourcing and supervision levels
- consider the need for a multi-agency response and involve partner organisations
If the missing person is under 18 years of age and potentially at significant risk of harm, consider the use of Child Rescue Alert.