Thinking analytically, using and sharing data and analysis to improve problem solving.
Building analytical capability - guideline
Chief officers should ensure there is sufficient analytical capacity and capability necessary for problem solving.
Essential elements include:
- officers, staff and volunteers thinking analytically when dealing with problems
- officers, staff and volunteers accessing appropriate data and tools to carry out their own analysis
- facilitating access to skilled analysts
- sharing of data, analysis and analytical resources between police and partners
- sharing of good practice within forces, across the service and with partners.
Effectively building analytical capacity and capability should:
- ensure problem-solving activities are based on a good understanding of problems
- enable the impact and outcomes of responses to be assessed Lead to greater efficiencies through sharing resources