Findings from this evaluation will inform the implementation approach as well as identify lessons for those forces introducing the apprenticeship at a later date.
|Level of research||
|Project start date||
|Date due for completion||
The evaluation will address two broad areas:
- How is the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) being implemented – what has worked well and where are the barriers/challenges?
- What outcomes have been delivered by the PCDA?
Findings from the evaluation will be used to help refine the implementation approach as well as identify lessons for those forces introducing the apprenticeship at a later date.
What the evaluation will focus on
- Implementation of the PCDA, including exploration of different delivery models, facilitators and challenges.
- Whether the PCDA has led to a variation in the diversity of new recruits (including socio-economic background).
- Whether the attitudes and behaviours of PCDAs and those on IPLDP differ and change over time (for example, in relation to CPD, EBP and aspects of the curriculum such as procedural justice or vulnerability).
- Experiences of the programme from those on and involved with the PCDA.
- The comparative financial costs of the PCDA and IPLDP.
The evaluation will be undertaken in a small number of early adopter forces and will involve a longitudinal (four year) survey of new recruits, a series of in-depth interviews and documentary analysis.