Support operational and tactical commanders in the effective management of communications for pre-planned and spontaneous incidents.
A high-level understanding of the provisions made for the operational use of mandated and mutual aid talk groups, together with the Airwave service requirements around major incident and event planning.
Upon completion, learners can take on responsibility for their operational and tactical planning teams and provide advice and best practice guidance on all aspects of the operational use of Airwave.
This course enables users to:
- become qualified communications advisors, covering all aspects of emergency services’ operational communications
- support the operational and/or tactical commander in the effective management of both pre-planned events and spontaneous incidents
This course covers:
- the role and responsibilities of an Airwave communications tactical advisor
- the communications requirements for pre-planned and emergency situations
- the importance of operational communications and their usage
- the joint operating rules and working practices within your own organisation
- national guidance and policies covering operational communications
- the importance of interoperability and the different operational communications approach in other organisations
- the operational and flexible use of Airwave
- how to provide communications advice to incident commanders
It is advisable that learners:
The course is delivered by a multi-agency training team and delivered to a multi-agency audience to maximise the benefit for all learners.
This is an assessed course, meaning learners are required to complete a multiple-choice theory assessment as well as an assessed professional discussion with a trainer regarding the advice they would give in the event of a spontaneous event.
Learners who require to undertake the role of covert Airwave tactical advisor as well as overt Airwave tactical communications advisor are recommended to attend this overt course first before attending the covert Airwave operational communications tactical advisor course (two days) as these do not cover the same content.