Policing public protests – key considerations
This resource is intended to provide support to public order public safety commanders, operational police officers and staff, who are responsible for or engaged with policing of protest, gatherings and events.
It provides links to relevant legislation and guidance to support and inform impartial, proportionate operational decisions.
Legislation relating to the policing of public protest includes:
- Section 34, Section 35, Section 36 and Section 37 of the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
- Section 60 and Section 60AA of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994
- Section 4A and Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986
- the Terrorism Act 2000 (Section 13)
- the Human Rights Act (1998)