Consider your personal leadership style, emotional intelligence and your ability to influence culture.
The personal leadership module explores the importance of self-awareness as a leader and will help you to consider your personal leadership style, emotional intelligence, your ability to influence culture and to reflect on the necessity of operating at the correct level as a leader.
Delegates are expected to own their learning and select which elements they need to complete based on individual development plans. These should be formulated in force in conjunction with line managers and based on role and experience.
Prior to attending this programme, you must already have broad experience of management and/or leadership in a policing environment with a basic knowledge of some well-known leadership models.
Before attending this programme you will be asked to complete the following activities.
An introductory conversation
The College of Policing will arrange a one-to-one conversation with each individual with the following objectives:
- Introduce you to the College of Policing delivery team and introduce the senior leadership development programme and learning outcomes of the personal and organisational leadership modules.
- Develop an understanding of your current role and responsibilities, thus building a picture of your development requirements and overall focus.
- Gain an insight into your aspirations to support further development.
We will be in contact prior to the module to arrange this with each of you individually.
Each conversation should last no longer than one hour.
You will receive a link to the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and the Thomas Kilmann Instrument before joining module one.
It is essential that you complete these assessments unless you have done them in the last two years in which case you should send your reports to us.
As part of your ongoing continuing professional development (CPD), you are advised to complete the Beyond 360 assessment in force. This is a College of Policing product and is available to all members. Your HR or L&D team should be able to support you with the process and provide feedback that you can then use with your coach/mentor to develop your development plan.
- The Leadership Review
- Policing Vision 2025
- The 21st Century Public Servant
- Police Culture and Transformational Leadership
- Police Occupational Culture
For pre-reads 4-5, you will be required to register as a guest user with the National Police Library.