Safely and lawfully gather information and intelligence from internet sources.
To provide investigating officers with the skills necessary to obtain, evaluate and use online information.
After attending this course, the participant will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to navigate internet utilities in order to capture and evaluate relevant data
- identify key sources of publicly available information in the different areas of the internet
- demonstrate the ability to navigate these sources in order to extract and evaluate relevant data
- apply best practice in respect of risk assessment processes at each stage of an online investigation
- apply best practice in respect of proper authorisation and recording processes for online investigations
- obtain tracking data from email communications
- obtain familiarity with social networking sites
- maintain a comprehensive audit trail of all web locations visited
- produce a relevant report identifying all pertinent aspects of the investigation
Methods of delivery
This course includes both theory and practical lessons.
Officers who need to use the internet in their investigations.
A series of written and practical assessments will occur throughout the course.
Home Office forces (non-residential):
£1,309.00 (1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021)